Music Theory + Ear Training + Sight-Singing
All classes 6:30-8:00pm
- Thurs, Jan 16
- Sat, Jan 25
- Thurs, Jan 30
- Thurs, Feb 6
- Thurs, Feb 13
Cost is $25 for entire 5-week course
To sign up, just submit payment here. No registration form necessary.
This course is geared toward intermediate singers and above. Beginner level singers are welcome to join with an auditing-type approach.
- Key signatures – C, F, G, D, A, and E
- Letter names on staff (treble clef for SA, both for T, bass clef for B)
- Rhythm: dotted eight-sixteenth, 6/8 and 12/8 meter, ties/syncopation
- Spelling: be able to spell scales in C, F, G, D, A, and E
- If time, be able to play scales on piano: C, F, G, D, A, E
- Accidentals: be able to identify whether a natural sign means up, down, or neither in keys of C, F, G, D, A, and E
- Intervals: drill & master as much as possible: m2, M2, m3, M3, P4, P5, P8
- Chords: identify and sing Major & Minor
- Scales: identify and sing Major Diatonic and Pentatonic
- Audiating: lots of solfege and hearing pitches.
- Solfege: be able to sing some important patterns from any given pitch (e.g. sing Sol-Mi-Do from this pitch, now from this pitch, etc.)
- Be able to identify and sing Do, Mi, and Sol from any given major chord
- Get as far as we can sight-singing on solfege in C, F, G, D, A, and E.
- Probably all diatonic, though maybe get to Fi and/or Si.
- Learn both major and minor
- Applying concepts we’re learning to reading of choral music, and stopping to talk about exactly how we know what to sing based on what we’ve learned.